Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Nest Building


September is spring in Sydney. The flowers bloom ( if we get rain) and the birds start to nest. Its been a while since we've had one nest so close. We have had the magpies, the crows and the willy wag tails nest in the gum trees of our neighbours yard in the past, but these have been cut down now and the birds have moved to the park.

Over the last few days I have seen the turtle doves around. They have been feeding on the back lawn, walking all over the roof of the garage next door, along the fence between us and our neighbours, and fluttering in my climbing rose.

This morning I saw one with a twig in his beak. Mmmmmm................... building a nest! I wonder where.

Earlier this morning I was taking some things to the bin and heard them fluttering again in the climbing rose , so I decided to investigate. Low and behold they are building their nest in amongst all the thorns! I've seen them since with more twigs, jumping from the roof of the garage onto the fence, then into the rose bush. So they have not been deterred by my finding them.

So..... I will watch this space, and try to keep my Fluffball away. She does know that they are there.


No comments: