Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Australian Contrasts & A Lizard Rescue

This last week has been one of lots of things happening in the real world. Around the country we still have fires in Victoria, there have been floods in Queensland, floods along the North Coast of NSW, and the valley where I grew up had over 28inches of rain. There was a National Day of Mourning on Sunday with a special service held in Melbourne for the fire victims of Black Saturday. This service was telecast all around the country and I watched some of it with the comfort of my tissue box. Very moving, with addresses by politicians, dignatories, and HRH Princess Anne. The music created by combinations of orchestra, didgeridoo & sticks was haunting and will live with me forever.


Here in Sydney my garden has had a drink with most of last week being wet. One morning I went to read the guage to find a lizard sitting at the bottom. Lucky we hadn't had too much rain the day before, as he was still alive with his head just poking above water, though I figured he must have been very cold. It took a while to get him out, he kept wanting to run back into the guage, even though I had emptied the water out & layed the guage on it's side. He must have just wanted to get warm first. He eventually came out & sat sunbaking on the table, only to be gone later when I came to check on him. Maybe he will be more careful next time.


1 comment:

My Budgies of the fictional town of Budgewoi said...

cute lizard and i love the refelction in the water too;
Bud.