Thursday, January 22, 2009

A New Frangipanni


I have a frangipanni tree in my front garden that is growing downwards as much as it is growing upwards. This upsets the lawn mowers of the family who have to duck under it so as to get the mower under the tree. The lawn mowers have threatened to prune my tree, and as any good frangipanni tree owner knows, these trees will bleed to death if prunned excessively. So the mowers are under strict instructions for one cut per year and one cut only. So they must think carefully before cutting. Last summer the cut branch was laid to rest for a few weeks, then planted in another section of the garden. Back in spring this new tree put out new leaves and one new bunch of buds. With the heat of the last week the buds have started to bloom. The tree is only 2 feet high, but with lots of time it will eventually grow as high as the house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am nearing the pathological stage of jealousy!! I lived in Hawaii growing up. We called them plumeria and we'd string leis. The scent was absolutely to die for. I just wish I could grow them here but our winters are too cold. Here's to extra tolerance/patience for the lawn mowers. The trees are so worth it.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

What a pretty blossom from this little tree .. no wonder you restricted the monster mowers away from the area. I wonder what it would be like to live in your garden zone .. I'm from the FROZEN north .. Canadian eh ! LOL
Very nice picture of that flower .. just uncurling : )